Put On Your Sombrero!
Recently, Liz made us an incredible helping of Mexican Street Corn Salad with Avocado. It was one of those dishes that just hit the spot; equal parts spicy, tangy and savory. I was bummed when I found that we had eaten it all and was hungry for more! Needless to day I dreamed about it that night!
We absolutely loved using our Yes We Mexi-Can Spice Blend to give south-of-the border flavor to this dish. People ask if it's taco seasoning or fajita seasoning? Our answer is always "yes and more." We've packed a smorgasbord of Mexican, Texan, South American, and Spanish seasonings in this blend which really makes it almost undefinable.
We ate our street corn with some pan seared pork chops but it would be fantastic on tacos, as a side at a cookout, or simply in a big bowl by itself!
So here it is in all its southwestern glory: Our Mexican Street Corn Salad!
Here's what you need:
3-4 ears fresh corn with kernels cut from cob (We used about 3 1/2 cups frozen kernels in the bag. Hey, it was all we had!)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions (we used red but any onion of your choosing would work just swimmingly)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (Measuring out fresh herbs can be tricky so use your discretion as to what 1/3 cup is. It's not the end of the world if it's a little more or less.)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 oz Cotija cheese, finely crumbled (Cotija is a fairly common Mexican cheese that shouldn't be too difficult to find in your local grocery store. If you can't find it, shredded Mexican cheese blend is a decent alternative)
- 3 Tbsp Greek yogurt (some recipes call for mayonnaise but we found that Greek yogurt is a healthy alternative that tastes just as good, if not better!)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, divided in 2
- 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp Yes We Mexi-Can Spice Blend (Go for the higher end of the range if you like your food spicier, like us!)
- 2 medium avocados pitted, peeled and cut into slices
Here's what you do:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet until over medium heat.
- Add the corn and let cook, stirring only occasionally until corn it's well charred. (should take about 8-10 minutes.)
- Remove from heat and spoon into large bowl.
- Add cilantro, onions, jalapeno, garlic, cheese, Greek yogurt, 1 Tbsp lime juice and Yes We Mexi-Can Blend, toss.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 Tbsp lime juice over diced avocados then add to bowl with corn mixture and gently toss. Top with remaining Cotija.
There you have it! We're sure you're going to make this more than once, it's that good!
Let us know how it turned out, we love to see your creations on Instagram #WaywardGourmet and Twitter @WaywardGourmet. Send em to us and we'll post your deliciousness on our site!
Leave a comment