Tex-Mex Potato Salad: Spicy, Tangy and Oh So Delicious!
The Perfect Side Dish to Help You Cool Off This Summer
This time of year, you'll rarely find us inside (with the exception of when we have to inevitably get some work done.) One of our favorite outdoor activities is firing up the grill and having an old fashioned cookout. Of course the stars of the show are always the burgers, dogs or whatever else we throw on the grill, but the supporting cast is equally important.
We especially love the cool texture and delicious flavor of potato salad. It pairs extremely well with the hotness that comes right off the grill. This recipe incorporates our fantastic Yes We Mexi-Can Spice Blend. It's got a bit of spice to it, but mixes in nicely into the salad with hints of lime zest, orange zest and brown sugar.
Our recipe is (marginally) healthier than a traditional potato salad as we use Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. It's non-fat, tangy and you won't know it's not mayo.
From prep, to cooking, to eating it takes a total of about an hour and a half. Not that bad considering it makes a gigantic bowl of deliciousness that makes you look like you know what you're doing in the kitchen! And it absolutely beats the pants off the bland mush you get from the grocery store.
So what are you waiting for? Get in the summer spirit and in on this insanely easy and delicious recipe!
Here's what you need:
- 5 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed (a little more or less isn't the end of the world)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons Wayward Gourmet Yes We Mexi-Can Spice Blend
- 1/3 cup lemon juice or apple cider vinegar (we've tried this recipe with both and can't decide which one we like better)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce (optional, but gives the dish a cool flavor)
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons mustard (we like the dark brown stuff, but whatever you have is fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek style yogurt (we use Fage but Chobani or any other decent brand is cool)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (also known as scallions, they taste good but also look purrdy)
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (again, adds flavor, but the little bits of green make it looks professional, which is what we're all going for)
Here's what you do:
- Boil some water in a large pot. Add the potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes until tender, but not mushy. (Think an unripe peach)
- Drain water and transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
- Boil a new pot of water with eggs in it (still in their shells.) Once boiling, cover pot and remove from heat, let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. (It's our fool-proof way to hard boil eggs, works every time!)
- Remove eggs from water. Peel, chop, and add to potatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice (or vinegar), oil, Yes We Mexi-Can, worcestershire sauce, mustard and black pepper; and yogurt. Mix well.
- Pour dressing over potatoes, and stir well, coating potatoes completely.
- Mix in green onions, celery, and parsley (you know make it look purrdy.)
- Refrigerate if not eating right away (gonna be hard not diggin in.)
That's it! There are a decent amount of steps, but they're really short and easy. The most time consuming part of the recipe is just chopping up all of the ingredients.
Let us know how it turned out, we love to see your creations on Instagram #WaywardGourmet and Twitter @WaywardGourmet. Send em to us and we'll post your deliciousness on our site.
Leave a comment